Yes, yes, yes, summer festival season is here! This guest post was written last year by Ginny Middleton, a second-year ALT working in the Noto. This festival is one of Noto’s most famous, so if you aren’t taking the July 2011 JLPT (or even if you are), plan to attend!
Noto Abare Matsuri 暴れ祭り(Fire and Violence Festival)
Arguably the best festival in the Noto, Abare Matsuri (the Fire and Violence Festival) will take place from 9 am on the first Friday and Saturday in July every year (1st and 2nd July 2011– same weekend as the JLPT)–although most of the best parts are after dark. The festival is held in the rural town of Ushitsu 宇出津 in the northern Noto peninsula and has been running for 350 years! Continue reading →
This post concludes the Ishikawa JET Blog Summer Festival Series. Thanks for reading!
1. Watermelon Festival 西瓜祭り, Komatsu; Aug. 26-28
2. Bullhead-Fry Festival ぐず焼き祭り, Kaga; Aug. 27-29
3. Café Lowell カフェ・ローエル, Anamizu; Aug. 28
4. Fukuura Festival 福浦祭り, Shika; Aug. 28
5. Niwaka Festival にわか祭, Noto; Aug. 28
6. Togi Hassaku Festival 富来八朔祭り, Togi; Aug. 28-29
Waijima Taisai is Wajima’s biggest summer festival. The festival is actually a combination of the festivals of four different shrines in Wajima in the towns of
Ama-machi (海士町): Aug. 22 (Sun.) 16:00 – 23:00
Kawai-machi (河井町): Aug. 23 (Mon.) 15:00 – 24:00
Fugeshi-machi (鳳至町): Aug. 24 (Tues.) 8:00 – 24:00
Wajimazaki-machi (輪島崎町): Aug. 25 (Weds.) 8:00 – 11:00
Wajima Taisai encompasses all the basics of a proper Noto festival into four days of celebration: mikoshi, portable shrines, taken out to sea; kiriko; a bonfire with a 12-meter pine torch; dancing and revelry in the streets. Don’t miss it!
Floats shaped like boats! Songs of the salt farmers! The most romantic festival at the most romantic temple in Ishikawa! A kiriko festival with all-female participants, and more! Don’t miss out on the Noto’s fabulous summer festivals!
1. Mountain King Festival 山王祭 (Minazuki Festival 皆月祭), Monzen (Wajima); Aug. 10-11
2. Sunatoribushi Festival 砂取節まつり, Suzu; Aug. 13
3. Heart-binding Festival 心むすび祭, Hakui; Aug. 13-14
4. Western Sea Festival 西海祭り, Shika; Aug. 14
5. Shinguu Summer Evening Festival 新宮納涼祭, Nakanoto (Nanao); Aug. 14